- Companies with Internet access 85%
- Companies with Broadband Connection 29%
- Companies with company Website 56%
- Only 30% of companies who did not have access to the Internet said they were likely to connect to the Internet within the next 12 months.
- While one in every two companies interviewed claimed to access the internet via broadband, when questioned further only 29% of firms had broadband enabled connections.
- Three out of ten companies who had attempted an upgrade were unsuccessful. The lack of availability of the pertinent service in their area was the principal reason that companies failed to upgrade their connection.
- Sales and marketing opportunities were the main benefits associated with a company website. It enabled companies to market to a larger audience in a cost effective manner. In terms of actual returns from websites, 44% of respondents said their website generated more sales (24%) and enquiries (22%).
- Eircom is the dominant player in the SME business broadband provider market with a 77% market share, with its nearest rival, BT Broadband Services, only taking a 6% share.
Couple this with the fact that ISDN usage has doubled in the past year and you gotta wonder who is selling all these people this awful product and saying it is broadband.
Why they couldn’t upgrade:
Service not available in my area: 63%
Not compatible: 9%
Didn’t work: 6%
Too costly: 4%