Retard

To be clear, I won’t stop using any word for the sake of another, no matter how unPC it is. If my words are upsetting, what about my ideas? Mulley.net will continue to use the following nasty and insulting words in 2008. cunt, vagina, fag, bastard, shit, fuck, feck, eamon ryan, motherfucker, tits, spa, langer and many many more.

2500 people have subscribed to my website instead of coming back each day. You can subscribe to the site using a feedreader or email. I'm also on Twitter. My online marketing blog might also be worth a visit. Thanks for visiting - Damien.

46 Responses to “Retard”

1. Twenty Major says:

Keep it up you horsefistingcuntbutler

2. Grandad says:

Yay! Fuck that for a game of soldiers!! I was going to clean up my act a bit for the New Year but if any cunt doesn’t like it, they can fuck off!!

Thanks for the lead, you Mary Harney, you.

3. And all those cuntin’ bastardwankers can go fuck their mothers if they don’t like it.

4. Branedy says:

I thought that you were going to use some real bad words like Comreg, Financial Regulator and IDA ;-)

5. dahamsta says:

Like the inclusion of that fuckwit Ryan in there. But now I’m hugely curious about who asked you to stop using the word. I get the same thing myself sometimes, decided long ago to take the same route as yourself.

adam

6. Damien says:

Fairy! I knew I forgot one word. You just reminded me. Cheers Adam.

7. Ah well, if you want to go down that route, so to speak, we’d be here for the night drawing up a list.

8. Grandad says:

What better way to spend New Years Eve than turning mulley.net into a repository of swearwords.

It can become the new definitive reference for all obscenities.

Can I add “Bertie Ahern”?

9. Gerry says:

Best sewarword I heard this year, ‘cow cunt’
    Feel free to use it, but I want a penny each time someone reads this.
    Hey, you, that’ll be a penny

10. Elana says:

Now, really, do you think that resorting to calling someone Eamon Ryan is necessary? I mean..come on. You’re intelligent. You can come up with something better than that.

/mother

11. Dan Sullivan says:

It was me, it’s a fair cop and I’m a terrible person. I admit that I inquired if Damien could avoid using the word what is the title of this here post, note I said avoid not stop. That was all. And I admitted it sounded terribly nanny state of me when I said it.

By all means write what you want, Damien. Frankly, I reckon most people could think of a multitude of other words more apt for the PS. I Nonsense but there you go.

12. dahamsta says:

It wasn’t Dan, it was me.

13. Andrew says:

….pissflaps!

14. Bum!

Gawd but I’m shocking altogether.

15. barry says:

Childish nonsense, lets hope you do better in 2008…, pity to see you stoop so low. Who cares about the language you use??

16. Damien says:

@Dan, as I said in the email, go fuck yourself.

@Barry Well done on another retarded comment from a Green Party Apologist.

17. Jesus, Damien, now look what you drew down on yourself. A bunch of condescending, holier-than-thou cunts.

18. Grandad says:

It just goes to show though – Start fucking and blinding, and you get more comments than on any other post.

Are we about to see the birth of “Fluffy Fucking Links”?

19. Ken Stanley says:

I am shocked and appalled.

Not

20. Ronan says:

what if you use the word “nigger” by mistake?

21. Claire says:

Why is the word ‘vagina’ offensive?

22. Damien says:

That’s exactly it Claire.

23. Damien says:

Ronan, if I use a word by mistake then it’s a mistake, surely?

24. Ronan says:

My point was that that’s a word that most people would find offensive, for whatever reason “retard” isn’t, but it’s not really acceptable either.

I don’t for a second think you are in any way some sort of bigot or hate the handicapped and I’m sure I use words like “retard” constantly, but I guess if I used the word and somebody pointed out to me that I shouldn’t I would say “you’re right, I shouldn’t”.

I mean, it isn’t really that defensible is it? Even if it is a colloquialism. Why defend it?

I don’t know how it was put to you either, maybe rudely, I’ve no idea, but I don’t think in general that people should be ridiculed for saying that something is offensive.

It takes courage to do so, especially when this weird idea that saying something is offensive or unfair to a minority group makes you anything other than a liberal seems to be so engrained these days.

25. Good for you Damien,
    People should be free to use whatever language they like on their blogs and I hope you encourage that in your blogging seminars and courses to companies and individuals.
    After all I can’t foresee that controversial use of language bad or otherwise could have unforeseen consequences on any person or companies private or professional reputation.

26. Anonymouse says:

Despite your bad and seemly language you’re selfcensoring yourself anyway. The only true way around your selfcensorship and to be totally honest with your opinion is to get a pseudonym. That way you can say what you really mean.

27. Anonymoose says:

A majority of people seem to post pseudonymsly, at least if this thread is any indication. Its useful in separating personal and private lives. After all one never knows when a potential employer, paramour, mentor or sponsor is watching. Not to mention the poor kiddies.

At one level it makes it easier to tell people to go fuck themselves. On another its hard to feel offended if someone attacks a pseudonym.

Shame when real people are involved though.

28. Caitriona says:

I’m kinda with Ronan. I mean I use ‘gay’ in a perjorative sense out of habit quite often – but if someone reminded me that I really shouldn’t, I’d have to agree with them.

And like Claire, I’m kinda confused as to why ‘vagina’ is listed on a continuum with ‘fag’ and ‘retard’. And if you listed fag and retard, why not ‘nigger’?

29. Damien says:

@Ronan Everyone is entitled to be offended by whatever they choose to be offended by. If they tell me they were offended, fair enough. But I take exception when people tell me to watch what I say. That’s an attack on me and will be treated as such.

@Caitriona, I don’t find a use for the word “nigger” and never use or say that word. I’ve used the rest at some point.

As for vagina, someone previously took exception to the word when I used it. Yet funnily enough they only found my blog after they searched for it.

@Caitriona I’d can’t understand your logic about using the word “gay”. You say you should not use it because it offends, yet you do? Or is it you are waiting to be told it it offends and then you’ll agree but continue usage anyway?

30. Damien says:

@Anonymoose If I get a bad reputation because of words that I’ve used on my personal space then so be it. I’ve a little more to worry about than that. If the food on my table depended on me not using words that offend some, then I’d be pigheaded enough to starve.

@Anonymouse (not same person as above) Eh what?

31. Caitriona says:

I wouldn’t say there’s ‘logic’ to it. I know I shouldn’t use ‘gay’ (as in “that’s so gay” meaning stupid or pathetic) but I do, out of habit. I try to break the habit but a lot of the time I can’t be bothered.

I’m just kind of confused as to why you view words solely as they affect you – ie nigger is wrong because you have no “use” for it – to the point that other people’s reaction to those words is irrelevant? Sure why are you bothering to blog in that case?

(That probably sounds more adversarial than I mean it to! I guess what I’m trying to get at is, obviously you don’t think nigger is anything more than a slur, so why the difference with fag and retard? Why self-censor in that respect (nigger) and not others? Is retard just not as bad or are you using it in an ironic way or what?)

32. Ronan says:

Or did you not include “nigger” because if you did people would immediately say “I really hope you never use the word ‘nigger” Damien”

“I’d can’t understand your logic about using the word “gay”. You say you should not use it because it offends, yet you do? Or is it you are waiting to be told it it offends and then you’ll agree but continue usage anyway?”

This is not that confusing really. People aren’t perfect and language slips into discourse, like “retard” or “gay” as pejoratives. If you burp you still say “excuse me” despite the fact you might do it again.

It is not possible to be a perfect human being and not screw up or whatever, I mean, surely one of the things everyone should strive to do (and I say this as a total asshole!) is to say “okay I was wrong there” and yes, also try not to do the same thing again.

But if you don’t even say “maybe I was wrong there” then how can that happen at all?

I don’t mean I am trying to argue you into an apology or whatever either, not at all, just explaining my point of view.

33. Damien says:

@Ronan Nope, that word never came into my thought processes for this post. It’s just a word I don’t use at all.

And I appreciate your viewpoint and your input and the fact that it can change my own views on things.

34. Gareth says:

Any potential sponsor looking at your Blog Awards must be well impressed with this thread…… keep up the good work.

35. Ronan: the only one who mentioned the word nigger was you. Why are you arguing its use with Damien?

36. Twenty Major says:

Is it ok for a gay nigger to call another gay nigger a gay nigger?

37. No. He’d say “queer”.

38. Ronan says:

I made my point, if you don’t understand it, you’re a queer.

39. I wouldn’t call a real spa a retard, I’d call them something more PC.

40. Twenty Major says:

Yeah, my new name for them is ‘barryegan’.

41. Just by clicking through, I see that you’ve pulled a Karlin Lillington* on Dan Sullivan and banned him from commenting.
    Is this how the “self-proclaimed it guy”** of the Irish blogosphere defends freedom of participation on the web….

**(http://www.mulley.net/2007/09/05/open-letter-to-karlin-lillington-and-a-challenge/)
    *(http://disillusionedlefty.blogspot.com/2006/01/interview-16-damien-mulley.html)

42. Damien says:

Surprised you have time to perpetuate lies during work time in Analog Devices

43. Anonymoose says:

I like to fit a lot of things into the day. Busy busy and all that.

44. What’s that all about?

45. squid says:

The way I look at things like this, and have had similar problems with my use of the term “scumbag” there is a facility for people who don’t like what is on your blog. it is called the blogroll, where can be found links to other things to read.