- Write a post on your own blog
- Tag it with â€œroadsafetyblogâ€œ, link to his post or add a comment with the link
- If you donâ€™t have a blog, you can comment here
- Most importantly, we need your suggestions on how to improve things
Iâ€™ll prepare a report on the submissions, and forward it to the Minister, Taoiseach, Road Safety Authority, Insurance Federation and every member of the Oireachtas.
I’m sure people are sick of this talk about road safety already with every paper and radio station discussing it but if a blog post can make you even a slightly safer driver it could be the difference between life and death. Unlike a lot of those crappy memes going about, this is worthwhile. Also see the Road Deaths Map.
My own suggestions:
- Courses like the “Ignition” course that Hibernian Insurance offers should be mandatory. It certainly made me a safer driver.
- Driving Instructors need to pass certain criteria before they can teach.
- Everyone should have to sit a certain number of driving lessons from qualified instructors.
- If there isn’t a reasonable drop in road deaths of young people then speed restrictors/monitors should be added to their cars. A work colleague was telling me today of devices that can text parents to let them know their kids are speeding. Speed is fine for motorways, not for crappy roads that are in the majority of this country.